I had been hording these Joel Dewberry Notting Hill fabrics for a little while and they fell together so nicely with this dress. I loosely used the McCalls 4817 pattern, although I changed the back of the bodice to make it a little higher in on the back. I tried to size down the size 6 pattern a little, but it is definitely too big on my size 4 kid, so I guess I didn’t size it down enough.
A quick zipper on the back and I managed to finish this beauty in a few hours. Totally the best thing I have sewn so far this spring!
My tallish 3 year old is turning 4 this month. We are sitting right at the end toddler sizes and dipping our toe in girls sizes. I made this dress a size 5, nice and roomy for the coming summer, a vague possibility that it might fit next year? Loving this pattern. McCalls’s 5838 you are really very lovely. Lined top, easy zipper install, I look forward to making some more of these.
I am totally bewildered why I neglected to take any pictures of my own child in any of the dresses I made her when she was smaller. I blame the sleep deprivation. Getting better sleep these days, I stitched up a stack of reversible dresses for little babies and listed a few on my etsy page. The snow is slowly melting, I think sewing sundresses is helping.
I have made a slew of these for my good friend who is now in her 3rd season of running a dance school. Around 60 maybe? I have lost count.
I did them this time. And this other time. I really liked the dragonfly ones here. And holy crap, I have some more here. And I know I missed taking a picture with at least 2 sets. Anyway. 12 more delivered this week to dance class.
I ordered some horse fabric for a special request that I will sew this weekend. I gotta say, I never thought to make a horse bag for the performing arts school. But it made my self imposed rules a little more flexible. I did a London bag you can see up there and Russian nesting dolls and a mermaid one for my daughter. I don’t know why I was choosing the less “themed” fabric before, maybe I wanted to be loyal to the “arts” theme. Eh, well, I got over it… and thank goodness, these are my favorite ones so far.
So, I made another Roller Skate Dress (pattern by Oliver + S). The young one requested mermaids. I was happy to oblige.
She wrinkled her nose. Turned her head away and said; “you picked the wrong mermaids”. I was sad. But I got back on the horse.
I used a new-to-me Japanese pattern and made a 2nd mermaid dress. Well, really more like a top, but cute, at least I thought it was cute. I revealed it to her, her eyes popped and then she paused and said “I don’t like green” and refuses to wear either.
This is as close as I could get to the dresses on her. Humility, that is my lesson for the day.
Well, I am late to this party, but I am loving the Roller Skate Dress by Oliver + S. I got my pattern on sale at Cloth and Bobbin! check them out!
I finished this one over the weekend. Size 5, a little roomy on my size 4 girl so this one will last a while.
She turned up her nose at the fox fabric initially, but did eventually put the dress on to wear for several hours, making the dress maker feel a little better.
It is a fully lined dress which was a little unexpected. I have to search out a light weight lining, even that minty green muslin felt too heavy.
I lost count of how many of these I made last year. But a new school year calls for some more bags.
And now we are off to dance class!
It is official. I am sewing crazy. I looked at those over the door shoe organizers and could not bring myself to pay 15 bucks for a some canvas. So, here we are, Ikea canvas for the backing, pockets out of sheer curtain scraps (that I hung on to for some reason) and I have one very pleased artist.
I think I might have to do another for the stuff animal over population around here.
The day finally arrived.
Rainy, cool and not at all like August.
Today I was Artist of the week at the Lansdowne Farmers Market. Despite the rain, I still did pretty swift business and got to see some neighbors and friends.
I even sold a quilt, which is always a pleasant surprise.
I sold almost all the dresses and owl pillows, but still have about half of the rest of inventory, I will get the rest up on etsy soon.
Still more stuff to sell at the craft fair. I am making a dozen dresses for 18″ dolls . I borrowed a model at the neighborhood fabric store and tried on my first attempt.
I used this pattern. It is pretty roomy so I have shrunken the pattern pieces almost 3″ in the width. I am also trying the top with the ruffled neck, more on that later.