Perry Moffitt

June 11, 2008

Scrap Quilt, still working

Filed under: A Lot of Quilts,The dog, Petunia — perrymoffitt @ 12:57 pm
Tags: , , ,

It has taken me more than a week to piece together the top for my scrap quilt. I went through 3 spools of thread which I thought was pretty impressive, or maybe a sad reflection on the free thread I got. Anyway- The squares are 5″ x 5″ so the total dimensions are roughly 70″ x 70″. I am pretty happy with it, more pink than I usually like, but, who can be picky about scraps? I am not really looking forward to the actual quilting , I have never done such a big quilt on my little machine. And who wants to fight with such a big quilt in this heat? Yuck.

And Petunia would also like to tell you how very hot Philadelphia is these days.



  1. I love your scrap quilt top!!! I am looking for a scrap quilt myself. Would you care to share the pattern??

    Thank you.


    Comment by MaryZ — June 11, 2008 @ 3:37 pm | Reply

  2. Hi Mary Z,

    I can’t seem to reply to you like I usually do so I will answer here. I am one of those annoying sewers who doesn’t sew with patterns. I can tell you this is 225 squares total. Each finished square is 5″ x 5″ .
    Here is a quick run down- I cut 6″ x 6″ squares and cut them in half diagonally, for the most part. You can tell that not all of the triangles match the other half of the square, but I made 2 halves of each 6″ square. I had a variety of widths for the stripe. The variety was because I was using genuine scraps and was trying to squeeze a lot of my old fabric favorites in. That being said, the variety of stripe sizes doesn’t seem to affect the overall look of the quilt as much as I thought it would. I learned after the first 50 or so that a contrasting stripe was a lot better than a matching one. Even light green on light pink gets lost. It really works best to do a dark color with a light color.
    After I sewed the 2 triangles with the stripe I ironed the seams flat and trimmed them to the 5″ square size. I had never retrimmed my squares before and it made a HUGE difference in having the corners line up. Then, lots of sewing.

    Comment by perrymoffitt — June 11, 2008 @ 3:53 pm | Reply

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at

%d bloggers like this: